-- --- Winner at Duckon 6 --- --

Best in Journeyman class

{Click on any image to see full sized}

Inspired by my activities on FurryMuck, I did a spur of the moment FurSuit fur Duckon 6 of my Character BigBadWoolf. Started May 18th 1997, completed June 6th 1997 (the day of the Duckon 6). Here's how I made him..

First, the materials were purchased from the local Fabric Store, cost me a total of $87.45 for all the fur, the completed costume cost me a total of $130.58, that was with buying a pair of pants to rip up and for the materials to make the Psionic Resonator Crystal glow...

To me the hardest part of any FurSuit is the mask, it often sets the tone for the rest of the costume you happen to be making, so I decided to start with that. For the frame, I use the plastic mesh idea used by Torrle the Wolf (as far as I know he's the inventor of this method), it's lightweight, very durable, pretty easy to work with, and defiantly nowhere near as hot as the foam used in most masks...

There are actually 8 pieces to the whole thing, Front and back of the head, upper and lower muzzle, and 4 support straps, two going over the top of the head, and two holding the upper muzzle in place. The lower muzzle was attached to a loop which was cut from the front face piece almost all the way, then bent 90 degrees, it gives the lower jaw really great mobility, controlled by how much of the loop is sewn to the upper jaw piece. The bends for the chin and nose in the muzzle pieces were done by cutting strips in the mesh, a couple of holes wide, then overlapping them overtop of one another. Once all was the right size I used pins to hold things together while I sewn all the pieces together..

Next I began sewing the fur pieces to the mask frame, I first started on the muzzle. The face and head was made from a single piece of fur, wrapped around the mask, the parts that look like ears were folded and sewn down to give the head a bit more shape, a fold was also sewn into the forehead to serve as a ridge of sorts for the eyebrows. I also made sure I had a lot left for the shoulder and back of the body of the FurSuit.

The ears were made with a piece of the plastic mesh sandwiched between two pieces of fur, the back used longer fur with some short length fur on the inside. the mesh allowed me to get the shape I wanted and made the ears nice and stiff on the head once attached. As a little extra I sewn on lips, though you couldn't see them very well with all that long fur.

The mask with all but the nose attached. Took me about a week to get things to this point.

The arm and leg pieces were measured around me by hand, I didn't use a ruler at all in the construction of the whole thing, I used pins to hold the parts together till I sewn on the machine. Turned inside-out the pieces were joined together, one thing you want to make sure you do is to use a comb and pull the fur from the seam before you cut the access fur away from the inside, otherwise the joint will be much more noticeable as you'll end up cutting the fur short at the seam.

After getting the body pretty much finished I took some time to make the tail, once again sewing inside-out, then folding it back out again. I used some fairly thick quilting material as filler, using a coat hanger to push the single rolled up piece into the tail. After I filled the tail it was hand sewn onto the FurSuits body.

Hands and Feet were next created, using longer fur for the backing, and a shorter cut fur for the palms and bottoms of the feet. The paw pads were hand sewn in, I didn't really have the time to do any fancy tucking in with the stitches so I just sewed the pads right onto the fur, trying to keep the spacing between stitches even at least. Once complete they were sewn onto the proper places on the arms and legs....

Finally the chest piece was sewn on one side, and Velcro was used on the other so I could get out of the thing, the mask piece was then sewn onto the back and upper shoulders, leaving the neck with two flaps on either side that Velcro together as well. The shorts were "aged" at the convention, ripping up a brand new pair of jeans... the shirt was ripped up as well, wanted to go for a "werewolf after transformation" look..

 

The Psionic Resonator Crystal my character uses on the muck a lot was put together at Duckon, the crystal actually lights up from the LED, the battery pack slips thru a slit in the back of the FurSuit, I taped the batteries in for good measure. I used 3 strands of black wire, braided together for the necklace part, making the power wire a bit larger so I could hide the battery pack inside the FurSuit.

 

At AAC`97 I made a few modifications....

My experiences at Duckon proved that my costume was just too hot to wear for extended periods of time. So I added a fan in the muzzle. I decided on a regular Pentium fan for a computer hooked up to a 9 volt battery. I thought anything larger would be more of a annoyance than anything... As it turned out it was just perfect, cooling the inside of the mask as if I was walking around, added to the breathablilty of the plastic mesh mask it allowed me to stay in the fur for over 6hrs at a time without too much discomfort...

Next I gave BigBad some claws, ending up only doing the hind paws only. They were cut from a plastic shampoo bottle and are rather sharp, didn't want to put them on the forepaws for fear of scratching (or worse) any "humans" hand I'd happen to shake. To make the holes to sew the claws to the FurSuit I simply heated a larger diameter pin and pressed it thru the plastic, worked out really well...